Thursday, November 22, 2007

OCD

After I wrote a few obligatory fan letters to Kip Winger, I had to tell him about major typos in a couple of paragraphs in his bio. Thinking more about the subject, I wrote another letter pointing out run-on sentences. Sorry, I said, but copy editing tends to attract people who are obsessive-compulsive.

Kip wrote back to my second riff about his autobiographical piece; he said something on the order of "Wow, you really are OCD."

The poor fellow doesn't know the half of it.

I'd kept noticing that the number of plays for the songs on his MySpace page followed the order of their sequence: "Resurrection," "Daniel," "Cross," and "Naked Son." Ultimately, I took matters into my own hands.

Backstory: Kip Winger apparently likes "Resurrection" best out of the tracks on "Songs from the Ocean Floor." I'm not musical and he is, but I prefer "Cross." Am I going to be dictated to by a mere man? Even one who's such a hunk?

So, dammit, I started to listen to "Cross" on Kip's MySpace page, again and again. We're talking fourteen hours out of several of my days. I'd spring up from the recliner in my study and play the song repeatedly.

In less than a week, "Cross" was more than 400 plays atop "Resurrection," so I turned to "Naked Son," from "thisconversationseemslikeadream." For a while, "Naked Son" was in second place, but I didn't have my heart in that battle. I'd finally begun to ask myself why I was risking carpal-tunnel syndrome to play a song that I already had on CD. And I wanted to hear both of the full albums again--I've always believed that good albums should be played in full and in sequence. So, ever rational, I backed off and moved on. But then, less than a week ago, I saw that "Resurrection" was moving in on my comfort zone, and I was forced to hit play on "Cross" once again.

Today, which is Thanksgiving, the Kipster changed his MySpace songs. Thank you, Mr. Winger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home